Head of DMPK
San Diego, CA
We are looking for someone who has experience from research through development, experience with Drug interaction studies, human ADME studies. They must have strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills as they work closely with our clinical teams. They not only have to have these skills sets but also scientific/technical expertise and have the ability to roll up their sleeves and get the work done. Programs are small molecules (preferred background) but also open to proteins and big molecules. The biggest challenge for this role is having multiple programs simultaneously.
Overview / Job Description:
Seeking an exceptional scientist and leader to join our Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) department. The successful candidate will develop scientific strategies, lead and mentor a team of 6 reports, and continue to build partnerships cross-functionally to advance research and clinical development stage programs. The Director DMPK will oversee the quality and performance of all DMPK activities including interactions with CRO's and internal projects stakeholders, as the DMPK lead for drug discovery and development stage projects.
Compensation is $225K or more
Location in San Diego CA
Experience & Education
- Leads the initiation and execution of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetic (DMPK) aspects of drug projects.
- Ensures internal and external resources are fully engaged and resource utilization is optimized.
- Creates the vision for DMPK and designs the long-term global strategy and operational model to support Gossamer’s research and development portfolio.
- Creates a culture of innovation, entrepreneurship and global, collaborative working.
- Defines and assigns resources and budget to all projects. Ensures departmental performance in terms of quality clinical candidate delivery.
- Accountable for developing a cutting-edge infra-structure including in house capabilities, that leverage automation and robotics, design tools, electronic lab note-books and collaborative IT tools.
- Initiates and leads external collaborations with major external scientific collaborators. Creates a climate of externalization and external innovation.
- Resolves highly complex business and scientific problems through excellent scientific judgment and broad research, development and regulatory affairs knowledge.
- Drives human dose projection calculations and supports clinical pharmacology trial design based on DDI risk analysis based on nonclinical data.
- PhD in Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics or related scientific discipline with a minimum of 15 years of biotech/pharmaceutical drug discovery and development experience; or BS/MS with 20+ years of experience.
- Strong leader with 5+ years of developing and leading teams.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and leading a strong scientifically data driven DMPK team to support both research and clinical stage programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to influence.
- Well-versed in health agency guidance and strategies to support global drug development.